Saturday 28 March 2009

An Insight

"With as much creativity as you can muster, show your heart in: 1 picture, 1 poem, 1 song or piece of music, 1 phrase or quote, 1 item of clothing, 1 place (and just for fun) 1 disney princess."

________________________________



This picture is of the "prehistoric Romeo and Juliet". They are believed to be a man and a woman, young as their teeth are intact, and were found just south of Verona - they are between 5000 and 6000 years old, dating to the Neolithic period. I never forget this picture because even if the reality of their death was not what we believe it to be, the idea of it and what it brings to people is so beautiful that it trandescends everything else. That is what love is.

________________________________


Somewhere on the other side of this wide night
and the distance between us, I am thinking of you.
The room is turning slowly away from the moon.

This is pleasurable. Or shall I cross that out and say
it is sad? In one of the tenses I singing
an impossible song of desire that you cannot hear.

La lala la. See? I close my eyes and imagine the dark hills I would have to cross
to reach you. For I am in love with you

and this is what it is like or what it is like in words.

- Words, Wide Night by Carol Ann Duffy

Christina Rossetti's He and She reminds me of one of my best friends because it's her favourite, and I also love Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath, but I think to call it the thing solely representative of your heart would be sad and sore.

________________________________



The more this dress is loved and the more battered it gets, the more beautiful it is. That is a good philosophy for hearts. It is my sister's, secondhand. I always feel beautiful in this dress and it has seen me through some momentous times.

________________________________


There could never be a song that summed me up, heart and soul, but I do love this song, and this one, and everything you write. There will always be a new song that finds your ear and catches like a fish-hook in the heart.

________________________________





Home is where the heart is - wherever they are, I am, and that is my favourite place to be. There are so many people I love, and being with them is being home.
I wonder though, until you have been everywhere, could you ever know that one place was perfect for you? I want to travel, because everyone sometimes needs to be far away from everything you know, to learn new things and to be alone and anonymous, and free.

________________________________


"You must know that something is happening with you, that life has not forgotten you, that it holds you in its hand, and will not let you fall." - Rainer Maria Rilke

________________________________


Without a doubt.

6 comments:

kerri said...

beautiful; as always

Trish said...

OMG! I really like your dress! :)

Anonymous said...

bon iver <3 i have come to find that it is the perfect music to nap to aswell! :) love you, come home soon please xxx

Te said...

You. Have. Been. Tagged. Hmm, yeah, on my blog.
That dress is fantastic. Oh, so shiny :)

svenske floyd said...

Both moving and charming. You ARE an Epicurean philosopher, aren't you?

fash said...

haha, perhaps a little. but i think i'm just a bit too hedonistic to be entirely epicurean.